Thursday 28 January 2021

HAIKU BY OTHERS (personal favourites)

FAVOURITE HAIKU



                                     





I have a special fascination for learning, reading, and writing contemporary English language haiku. Here are some personal favourites. They are poems which stunned, stopped, and moved me when I  first came across them. They are memorable poems which return to my mind every now and again and make me want to go and read them over again and again and again.

                    Many of these poems can be found found at -

                     https://thehaikufoundation.org/haiku-registry/ 


+ + +


                                                  pregnant again
                                                  the fluttering of moths
                                                  against the window



JANICE M. BOSTOK
The Haiku Anthology, Simon & Schuster, New York, 1986 

+ + +



                      underneath
                     the same moon
                      the ant and I




LORI A MINOR
Frogpond 41:2 Spring-Summer 2018

+ + +



                    morning stillness
                    the empty bird table
                    buried under snow



RACHEL SUTCLIFFE
The Heron’s Nest Vol. XX Number 4, Dec, 2018

+ + +



                                       house clearance
                                       room by room by room
                                       my mother disappears



ALAN SUMMERS
Winner, Touchstone Individual Poem Award for 2016



+ + +


             together as we dry there is the listening to rain
MARLENE MOUNTAIN
Global Haiku, 
  Mosaic Press, Canada, 2000

+ + +


                                                             graveside vigil
                                                             standing alone
                                                             in his rain
MARIETTA McGREGOR
Presence #62, September 2018


+ + +



                               bombed breadfruit tree —
                                                             somewhere about
                                                              an infant islander cries



               hidan no pan no ki tōmin no akago naku atari



KANEKO TOHTA 
Selected Haiku, Part 1 (1937-1960) by the Kon Nichi Translation Group, Red Moon Press, 2011; Trans., Gilbert et al


+ + + 


                                                     washed jeans―
                                                     his love  note
                                                     still dirty



SUSAN BURCH
Honourable mention 4th Annual Senryu Contest, Sonic Boom July 2018
+ + + peace negotiations― a refugee child collects the bullet shells

HIFSA ASHRAF hedgerow #127, Spring 2019

+ + +
             ahh rainbow!
             the light passing
             through me



SVETLANA MARISOVA
Simply Haiku (Summer 2012

+ + + spring breeze— the pull of her hand as we near the pet store

MICHAEL DYLAN WELCH
Woodnotes 19, 1993


+ + + 
blossom wind
my sick wife holds my hand
tighter


CHEN-OU LIU
Winner, Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival's 2021 Haiku Invitational 
Contest

+ + + 

                                           tern's shadow
                                          darts across the beach
                                          herring clouds



MAYA LYUBENOVA
Frogpond 31:2, 2008

+ + +

                              shining cobwebs
                              the weather report forecasts
                              continuing fallout


EMIKO MIYASHITA
12 Haiku, Stockholm Sweden June 26, 2018

+ + + spring melt all my regrets pulled out to sea

MICHAEL REHLING
A Hundred Gourds 2:4 September 2013

+ + +

                    after a word
                    at war
                    afterwards


HANSHI TEKI
Bones 8, November 2015

+ + +
my grandfather’s face
we try to read
between the lines
DEBBI ANTEBI
The Heron’s Nest XVIII:1, 2016




+ + + 



the neighbour's unkempt lawn... all these butterflies
POLONA OBLAK
First Place, Shiki Kukai (July 2010)
+ + +

fading light her child’s name fills the street DAVE READ Presence 57, 2017 + + + high noon the black dahlia leans toward the scissors REKA NYITRAI
Under The Basho
 July, 2018




+ + +

frisbee…
the puppy returns
with a human femur MARINA BELLINI
Otoroshi 1, Spring 2021 + + +

Colours Haibun

I was an orphan growing up in several foster homes. They labeled me as 'troubled', I guess they're right. 

I remember one foster mom, a very nice woman, my troubles began with her plastic flowers...

3 big yellow sunflowers with 5 red roses. She placed them all mixed in a crystal vase. It isn't right! The colours fight. So I put red roses aside. The first time I did that she was laughing but told me not to do that again. After a few times she was not amused and gave me a stern warning.

I really didn't want to upset her but at night while everybody's sleeping, I heard those red roses' screaming. I had no choice, I hid those red roses in my drawer, they're safe... and the next day I was sent to another foster home.

 

ugly duckling
one less curveball
to deal with




ELISA THERIANA
Under the Basho 2018
+ + + 



midnight blue a grandma-shaped crater on the moon HEMAPRIYA CHELLAPPAN Bloo Outlier Journal Winter 2021 + + + milky way she cried a different star GREG LONGENECKER Heliosparrow Poetry Journal 17 Sept 2020 + + +

dead end street I walk away from my mind GABRIEL BATES Otata 27, March, 2018 + + + last embers falling from the incense... end of autumn

CHASE GAGNON

Editor's Choice, Cattails, Winter 2013 + + + Hole in the ozone my bald spot. . . sunburned

GARRY GAY

San Francisco Haiku Anthology (1992)
+ + + hospice window a halo for every street lamp

ELIZABETH ALFORD

Failed Haiku vol. 4, issue 44 (2019) + + + cold night a beggar and his dog share shadows
BILLY ANTONIO
First Place, Shiki Kukai [Free Format] (December 2014) + + + cherry blossoms I tell my lover a pink lie

ROB SCOTT
roadrunner haiku journal VIII:2 (May 2008) + + +
So far, this is my current Top 30 list of favourite contemporary haiku/senryu, mostly, ELH. I will add some of my all time favourite Japanese haiku as well. .夕月や大肌ぬいでかたつぶり yûzuki ya ôhada nuide katatsuburi in evening moonlight going bare-chested... snail

Issa

Translated by David G. Lanoue












2 comments:

Published

haiku Netra Volume 1 Issue 3, November 2023

  Thank you to  editor  Daipayan Nair for accepting these poems. a newspaper on the picnic rug  hospital garden  the last train under a blac...